Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ
8. Transfers Abroad
- Transfer is to one of the following countries/territories: Andora, Argentina, Canada, Faroe Islands, Guernsey, Isle of Man,Israel, Jersey, New Zealand, Switzerland, Uruguay.
- Transfer is of advance airline passenger(PNR) data in accordance with the EU-approved arrangements for such transfer to the border authorities in the USA, Canada and Australia
- Transfer is within a group of companies covered by EU-approved Binding Corporate Rules
- Transfer is made using one of three EU-approved Model Contracts
- Transfer has the clear and unambiguous consent of the individual data subject(s)
- Transfer is either : authorised by law or by the Data Protection Commissioner; from a public register; necessary for reasons of substantial public interest; necessary in relation to certain contractual and legal proceedings; necessary to protect the vital interests of the individual.
Further information is here.
In order to secure approval for BCRs a company must choose a lead data protection authority to coordinate securing approval from other relevant data protection authorities. The lead authority must also as part of this process approve the BCRs. This approval receives mutual recognition from a number of other data protection authorities across the EU.